Feeling stressed about your move?
We know moving comes with a laundry list of different responsibilities; we've created these checklists to give you a simple reference point for the responsibilities on your plate. If after reading through the information below you still have questions, please call us: (410) 332-4432
Congratulations on your acceptance into an UTZ Property Management home! We hope you'll have a great stay with us. Start your tenancy off right by following the details below.
First Month's Rent & Security Deposit
Your first month's rent check, security deposit, and any other fees owed should be paid at the lease signing. Be sure to confirm the amount in advance to avoid any problems.
Move-in Date & Inspection
We will schedule your official move-in date and provide any necessary inspection information at the lease signing.
Please quickly place all of your rental home's utility accounts in your name. If you fail to do this after moving into your rental, you will lose access to utility service. You will be responsible for any fees associated with restoring access to the property.COMPLETE MOVE-IN INSPECTION
We're always sad to say goodbye to great tenants, but we hope you had a great time staying with us. Don't leave a single stone unturned; instead, be sure to take care of the following:
Notice of Intent to Vacate
All tenants need to provide written notice of intent to vacate. Refer to the terms and conditions of your lease to determine your agreed move-out date.
Your rental needs to be returned to its original condition before you turn in the keys. This includes:
- Rental Cleaning: Properly clean your rental property, taking the time to sweep/mop all floors, wipe down hard surfaces, and sanitize the bathrooms. You also need to remove your belongings from the home.
- Landscaping & Outdoor Areas: If you have an outdoor space where you generally mow, weed, please take care of these maintenance tasks once more before moving.
- Repairs: If damage occurred during your stay, you'll need to repair these issues or find an amicable solution with our team.
Home Cleaning and Maintenance Checklist
- Remove all light fixtures, clean and replace burnt out light bulbs, and put fixtures back in place
- Ensure all bulbs are functional, matching bulbs are used in fixtures, and proper wattage used
- Ensure all blinds and window coverings are dusted and free of any debris or grossness
- Dust, wash and rinse all dirt, grime, and marks from all baseboards
- Clean all light switch plate covers, electrical outlets, door jambs, and thresholds
- Clean, scrub and rinse all non-carpeted flooring
- Remove all personal property, food, cleaning supplies and products, etc
- Clean window sills, frames, tracks, casing and inside of glass. Inside glass should be free from smudges, fingerprints, stickers, grossness, etc
PAINT TOUCH UP:
- Walls will need to be touched up between residents. If touch ups are minor, the cost will be the homeowner. However, if damage to the walls is excessive (more than 10 small holes), UTZ PM reserves the right to pass through some of the expense to have the walls touched up. If you choose to do the touch-up yourself, make sure the work is done in a manner that is professional and can’t be noticed more than 5 feet away. If you are not confident in your ability to paint, it is better to allow UTZ’s preferred vendor to take care of the touch-up.
- Move the refrigerator away from the wall
- Clean grease and grime off the wall behind the refrigerator
- Scrub and mop floor where refrigerator normally stands
- Clean all sides and top of the refrigerator. This includes vacuuming components underneath
- Move the refrigerator back to it’s original place
- Defrost the freezer and clean
- Remove and clean all shelves and crispers
- Clean the inside of the refrigerator and seal before replacing the shelves and crispers
STOVE, MICROWAVE, DISHWASHER:
- Remove grease and grime from walls and cabinet sides and behind stove
- Scrub and mop the floor where the stove normally stands
- Move the stove back to it’s original placement
- Remove grease and grime from the microwave (inside and outside) and range hood
- Clean range top, front and doors. Remove grease and grime from the oven, including racks, broiler and drawer
- Clean inside and outside of dishwasher, including door edges
CUPBOARDS, DRAWERS, and COUNTERS:
- Remove all food, debris and grease particles from all surfaces. Wash and rinse all shelves and drawers
- Clean all cabinetry including fronts, inside and outside. Clean all countertops, edges and underneath
- Remove soap, scum and stains from tub, fixtures and shower rod
- Clean and shine wall tiles around tub areas
- Scour sink and soap holder
- Clean vanity cabinet inside and outside, including doors
- Clean the inside and outside of medicine cabinet and cabinet door (including mirror)
- Disinfect, scrub and remove stains from the inside and outside of the toilet
- Clean line closet/shelves and both sides of the door
- Scrub and mop bathroom floor, making sure to remove dirt
- Clean closet shelves, rods, tracks, casing and both sides of doors
- Clean both sides of all doors, including casings
- Vacuum all carpets
- Vacuum all floor heat vents (registers)
- Scrub and mop all vinyl or tiled areas
GARAGE, GROUNDS, MISC:
- Remove all debris, dust, sweep, remove oil stains, etc
- Remove all personal property
- Ensure yard is maintained as per the Landscape and Exterior Maintenance section of lease
UTILITIES, POST OFFICE, AND RETURN KEY:
- Contact utility companies and remove them from your name as of the move out date on the last day of your lease
- Make certain all utility payments are current. Remember, you are responsible for all utility payments through the last day of your lease and until all keys are returned
- Notify Post Office of your address change. www.usps.cpm
- Notify UTZ PM of your forwarding address
- Return all house keys, mail keys, garage remotes and gate openers, if provided
- Carpets must be professionally cleaned upon move out
- Provide a copy of carpet cleaning invoice to UTZ PM
- If pets resided in the property, there is a mandatory pet treatment assessed to all carpet areas, and should clearly be reflected on the invoice
The security deposit serves as a protection against any damage that could occur during your stay. After you move, we'll conduct our final inspection to check for damage. If we identify any damage, we'll schedule repairs and deduct the costs for these repairs from the deposit.
We will return the deposit within 45 days, in accordance with Maryland tenant-landlord law.